Monday, August 25, 2008

Possible TIVO Opportunity

I am the Chairman. I do backflips and bite into apples. If you do not heed my warnings, I will summon the wisdom of my uncle and make you kiss me. I call this face Sous Vide.

I went home for lunch today. Over the weekend much food was cooked. The highlight being Lindsay's Mac-n-Cheese. It did not come out of a blue box. Lindsay likes to use recipes and follow them religiously. This recipe came from the Barefoot Contessa cookbook. I am very glad she follows recipes the way she does, as it turned out great.

On Saturday we went to the Crescent City Farmer's Market where we picked up some Creoles, Chilton County Peaches, and catfish filets. I made some Peach-esque Ice Cream. I say peach-esque because while I was making my ice cream base I forgot not to forget to add vanilla extract to the base. So the resulting product turned out to be more vanilla peach, not bad but far from perfect.

I peeled the peaches, cooked them in 1/2 cup of water with 2 tablespoons of honey. I was out of lemons so I added a touch of white vinegar. The I pureed the mixture, strained it, cooled it, and added the peach mixture to the base. The other benefit was having peach puree. We had champagne left over, so we had bellinis all weekend.

Ok, I am rambling. Here is the purpose of this post. I don't know really why I love food and cooking so much. But I do know when I first became cognizant of it. When I was in grammar school and throughout high school, there was a show on the Discovery Channel called Great Chefs. It involved one chef (usually a foreigner which required a narrator), one camera, and the set was in the kitchen of the chef's restaurant. The chef prepared from start to finish one dish. The show had three segments: an appetizer, entree, and dessert. Each segment featured a different chef. It was there I first saw foie gras sliced with a hot knife, and that is when the affair began.

I watched that show religiously when I would come home from school. Something was very soothing about the show, perhaps it was the narrator's voice which combined the soft voice of a grandmother with the smoothness of a radio announcer. Whatever it was, the show was the perfect cooking show: simple instructions coupled with the voyeurism of behind the scenes in a restaurant.

This afternoon while waiting to come back to the office I caught a show on NBC called RecipeTV. It followed a remarkably similar concept as Great Chefs. The segments were quick and the chef taught you the dish as if you were a new chef on his brigade. So, if you need to get away from 30 minute, Semi-Homemade Bar B Q Cookoff Diner Challenges, tivo this show.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, we used three chefs per
episode, each doing one chef, and
you can see it on YouTube.com/greatchefs as well as
purchase the DVD's on our web site
greatchefs.com RecipeTV is just
trying to replicate what we've been
doing for 27 years. We wish Bryan well however.
John Shoup
Great Chefs Television/Publishing

Anonymous said...

I caught RecipeTV a few months ago when I was laid up after I pulled my back out. I definitely made me long for the days of Great Chefs. It also made me wish I was able to get off the frigging couch and cook something, but apparently neither wish was to come true.

Rene said...

I now realize my explanation of Great Chefs was rather ambivalent. Is the program still airing or solely on youtube?