Tuesday, August 19, 2008

On the Road - Austin

I crossed the border last week for a wedding in Austin and visited a few of my old haunts as well as a couple of new places that have received some recent buzz.

The Folk Singer is a big fan of the Food Network, so her one request on this trip was that we eat at Flip Happy Crepes, where Bobby Flay once battled in one of his "Throwdowns." I am a huge fan of crepes, so I was happy to oblige ... and I am glad I did. We tried the shredded pork with cheddar cheese, pickles, & Tabasco (which was the savory crepe which was made for the "Throwdown"), and the roasted chicken with mushrooms, gruyere, & carmelized onions. Both crepes were very rich, but what I found most appealing was how the ingredients melted together so that you could taste each flavor in every bite. We finished it off with two sweet crepes: lemon curd with blueberry dressing (pictured right), and one with generous smear of Nutella, which may be my favorite dessert in the world.

Friday night we dined at Lambert's, an "upscale" BBQ joint co-owned by a friend of mine named Larry. My plan of just ordering a few small plates was quickly tossed out once we heard the special: a 40oz. porterhouse covered in an ancho chile rub and paired with four-cheese flautas. The steak was overcooked past medium-rare, but the flavor was spot-on. An appetizer of fried green tomatoes topped with crabmeat made for a nice starter. I wish I would have been hungrier though because the side dishes sounded amazing - green chile cheese grits and four-cheese macaroni just to name a few.

Finally, on Saturday we went to what in my opinion is the best place in Austin to mitigate the effects of your morning-after hangover: Maudie's. It's not the best Tex-Mex in the world, but it's one of my favorites. I could not decide whether to order the chicken enchiladas with the verde sauce or the vegetarian cheese enchiladas with the roja sauce. I thought: "WWTPD?" or "What Would The Pope Do?" So, of course, I ordered both. I tried to stop eating with just a few bites left, but our waiter implored me to keep going. When I finally finished, I asked TFS if she was proud of me. The waiter chimed in: "Dude, I don't even know you, and I am proud of you."




No comments: