Friday, August 29, 2008

Does it have to be Monday...

Peter, that is a tougher act to follow than Obama's coronation speech last night. But here goes...

Breakfast: Morning Call, but since that would require driving instead I think I would go to Camelia Grill and start my day with a Cheeseburger with grilled onions, cheese fries, and a chocolate milkshake. Why? Because its my last fu*king day in New Orleans.

Lunch: Liuzza's. Fried Onion Rings. Fat Kid Special. 4-5 Schooners of beer. 2 Bushwackers and a United Cab, preferably with a cab account.

Snack: Mila. A Mint Julep from Chris McMillan and an order of sweetbreads with truffle grits.

Dinner: In between lunch and snack, I went home and braised some fatty short ribs in red wine and aromatics. Served on top of mashed potatoes loaded with as many Smith Dairy products I can get my hands on. Lindsay and I eat and drink a bottle of 2005 Chateau la Nerthe. I open a second bottle, pour Lindsay a glass I know she wont finish, and watch Nash Roberts tell me everything is going to be ok.

Late Night Snack: F&M's Cheese Fries.

1 comment:

Rene said...

From Ltnt. Lakeview himself:

I don't think you can go wrong with Peter's last New Orleans meal. So, I will put a little spin on yall's last meal entries, and will assume that this time around, the 17th St. Canal goes the other way and our red-headed stepchild Metairie is whiped out. So for all your Rummel grads that read the blog, I think this sounds about right:

Breakfast: Morning Call, the metry version of Cafe Du Monde. What's better than eating beignets on Decatur Street while listening to some street jazz and watching tourists walk by? Eating beignets that are just as tasty while listening to the sweet sound of Veterans traffic and watching the occasional cheeseball walk into Jeff's haberdashery bra.

Lunch: The Galley. I know this is in Old Metairie, and every St. Catherine and Country Day student is convinced that this is the best neighborhood to grow up in period. But guess what? No matter how hard they try, when celebrating their 18th birthday at the Boot, that driver's license handed to the bouncer is going to read "Metairie" not "New Orleans" ... so The Galley qualifies. I am going with a cup of gumbo, onion rings and a soft shell crab po-boy.'

Snack: Shogun. Regardless of what anyone says, this is the best sushi restaurant around. Since I can only have an afternoon snack and not full-blown meal, I will go with a Tuna Shogun Style and an order of imported Japanese Amberjack sushi (not to be confused with regular amberjack) with ponzu, green onions and chili sauce.

Dinner: Tower of Pizza. I will go with two Barq's in a bottle, an Italian Toss Salad, a large Tower Special and a wicked game of Pacman at the arcade machine while watching John Moscona make my pizza and listening to some hard core LSU baseball fans talk about how the Tigers will be going back in Omaha this year.

Late night snack: Sweet Fire & Ice. That's right, your last day in Metry wouldn't be complete without a little taste of Al Copeland. When leaving Tower of Pizza, I would place a to-go order into the poor man's Ruth's Chris for three orders of cheesecake by the scoop. Swing into the oxygen bar to remind myself how happy I am to be an Orleans Parish citizen, and then drive back to the friendly confines of Lakeview.