Friday, August 29, 2008

An August Afternoon

Well, I took my advice. Lindsay and I went to lunch today. And did it big.

Restaurant August.

First an amuse. A replay of the seafood sabayon from the tasting adventure. Still really good.

Apps. Lindsay got the fried oysters on top of a blue cheese ranch dressing. This dish really balances salty and sweet with tangy and creamy. I got the silver queen corn agnolotti with bacon and a parmesan foam. One bite of the agnolotti proved how savory sweet corn can be. Skinned grape tomatoes provided acid, the fava bean puree an earthiness, and the bacon provided well, bacon.

Entrees: Lindsay got the braised rabbit in raviolo. The piquillo peppers provided a great sweetness which Lindsay really liked. Although there were a few bones which slightly tarnished the dish, the fava beans were perfectly cooked. "I love how every dish here is so well thought out. And then they go one extra step," Lindsay said. Couldn't agree more.

I got the tournedos over polenta with braised mushrooms. Sweet and sour were the predominate themese in this culinary symphony. The beef had a little tooth to it, but not in a bad way.

Delicious Nicaraguan coffee, a frozen creme fraiche souffle, with blackberry cabernet sorbet on top of braised peaches with a chiffonade of mint. A word about the mint. I thought it was basil, Lindsay was right. Good thing I didnt bet or I would have been waking up with Gus and Penny for a week.

As we left the restaurant, we bumped into a couple that also had spent a glorious afternoon in the embrace of August. They are from New York and said that August was one of the best meals they have had. Thanks for coming to New Orleans, enjoy your stay.

No comments: