Monday, August 11, 2008

Monday is the New Friday

I know that you have heard this song and dance before, but half-priced wines at Vega on Monday is a steal. Here are a few pictures from my last dinner there.

We started with a cheese board which included that awesome fig mustard. Then we moved onto the Ensalata de Vaca - seared beef, shaved red onion, gorgonzola, grapes and baby greens tossed in peppercorn dressing
.
For all of the vegetarians out there, these next two dishes are for you. First, the Eggplant Napoleon - thick slices of eggplant layered with fresh mozzarella, arugula and oven-dried tomatoes, drizzled with duo of sun-dried tomato and basil pestoes. Next, grilled artichokes basted with lemon, butter, and olive oil, and topped with crumbled feta. (Don't let the picture fool you: the artichokes come 3 to an order, but The Folk Singer could not control herself.) I guess you could leave out the mozzarella and feta if you are a vegan, but let's not get too crazy.

We finished with Moroccan spiced pork ribs, which I know our formidable adversary is a big fan of, but I must say that I respectfully disagree with him on this one. The ribs were cooked perfectly, but the spice combination was not for me. To each his own.