Thursday, March 12, 2009

Mid-City Mexican

I have wanted to try Taqueria Guerrero Mexico for a while, but I could never convince anyone to go with me. Luckily, I caught The Folk Singer in an inebriated and hunger-stricken state on a recent evening, and the lure of freshly made Mexican was enough to push her to explore the unknown.

The ambience is minimal and a tad cheesy in a Mexican bordertown kind of way. Thankfully, during college I spent many a night in cheesy Mexican bordertown joints, so I felt right at home.* After complimentary chips and a duo of salsas, our entrees were quickly delivered.

Buried under that pile of lettuce and drizzle of sour cream were 6 freshly rolled chicken enchiladas in a traditional mole sauce. The mole tasted - and I could not come up with another word other than - "deep" but with no acidity whatsoever and minimal spice. There was no strong chocolate flavor either. Not that the sauce was bad, just not really vibrant or what I expected.

This trifecta of tacos cost all of $6, and I am not joking when I say there was close to 1/4lb of meat on each. As at most of the local authentic Latino eateries around town, you get your choice of a variety of meats. I had tongue, beef, and pork (they were out of chicharrón unfortunately). The tacos are simply dressed with a few onions and cilantro, but they also had the added bonus of being served on not one but TWO corn tortillas. So instead of 3 tacos chock full of meat, you could make 6 tacos which are easier eat.

Taqeuria Guerrero Mexico - Birdie.

*Maybe one day we will organize a BlackenedOut field trip to Ciudad Acuña to eat at Ma Crosby's and drink at the Corona Club. If we could only figure out a way to keep Legend away from the donkey show.

2 comments:

Arthur "The Bear" Hebert said...

Should be whipped for having no pork skin. My favorite along with tongue

Faine said...

Have they got cabeza? I may have to hitchhike down there if they do. I MISS CABEZA.