Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Pho Bang

I have been on a Vietnamese rampage lately. My search for the finest pho, banh mi, and bun cha has taken me to Kenner, the Westbank and New Orleans East. So in addition to an array of flavorful foods, I have racked up enough frequent flyer miles to earn myself a roundtrip ticket to any city in the 48 states that Folk Singer Airlines travels to. I'm thinking a Saturday lunch at Rocky & Carlo's followed by a Flour Power sugar induced coma.

Speaking of Folk Singer Airlines, we stopped at Pho Bang for a pre-flight meal before her trip home for the holidays. Just another example of how to utilize those pesky airport runs to broaden your dining horizons.I almost always start a Vietnamese meal with an order of spring rolls. These were "summer rolls" stuffed with shrimp and pork. Par on the taste scale, but I really liked the peanut sauce because it had more of a heat kick than most.

What do you do when you can't decide which cut of meat you want in your pho? Ask yourself this: What would The Pope do ("WWTPD")? Answer: Get ALL of the cuts of meat in your soup. - raw eye of round, cooked eye of round, navel, tendon, and omosa (tripe). I thought that the tendon had the best texture - the chewiness of the fat on a steak but with none of the guilt. The broth was a little gritty, but the accompanying plate of herbs were fresh and flavorful.

The Folk Singer had the #31: grilled sesame beef over rice with tomatoes and cucumber. The beef was not as tender as I would have liked, but the marinade was good. I thought that the sliced tomatoes were a strange addition as well.

This was my first trip to Pho Bang, and I was surprised to learn that they have 13 other locations around the country. Decent meal overall. Worth the drive to Kennya? Only if you are making an airport run.

7 comments:

Robert said...

I think Pho Bang's Pho is one of the best in the area, but that's about all I've had there. The summer rolls, as you say, don't have a lot of flavor.

I went to Pho Tau Bay this week after being dismissed from Jury duty, and found the pho, while delicious, was served in a smaller portion than I remember. Not a bad thing, necessarily.

Anonymous said...

I gotta ask...is tripe an "acquired" taste or is it pretty good? I've always been too scared to try it. What a wimp.

Anonymous said...

Good Taste is always acquired.

Peter said...

I don't think that tripe necessarily has an acquired taste, but the texture is unusual.

I would say the a good introduction to tripe might be an andouillette - which is a tripe sausage usually served with a mustard sauce. That was possibly my favorite meal I had when I traveled in France.

Anonymous said...

A+ to Peter on the pictures; keep it up.

DavidIB said...

Pre flight? I thought Pho Bang was on the West Bank...but Google says it is on Chef...but you seem to think it is near the airport. Where is it?

Anonymous said...

slice tomatoes are the norm with that plate.