Monday, January 5, 2009

A New Year

No one, and I mean NO ONE (ourselves included), thought that Rene and I could sustain this blog for more than 2 or 3 days. Let's face it: Rene started writing this whole thing out of sheer boredom. But here we are. Ten months after the fact, and still going strong. Here is a quick recap of our past hijinks and a brief look at what's to come.

The First Annual "Dude, You Were So Blackened Out Last Year" Awards
  • Restaurant of the Year: Cochon - How could we not select a restaurant devoted to all things pork?
  • Food Event of the Year: Taste of the Town - The NOWFE Vintner Dinner and the LRA Expo both deserve honorable mentions.
  • Blog Character Least Likely to Succeed: Legend - If only we had a video camera rolling that night.

New Year's Resolutions

  • Peter: Upon Rene's suggestion, I am going to attempt what has been dubbed "The Challenge" - No repeating eating in any restaurant for the entire year. So many times we talk about restaurants and say, "Oh, I have never been there." Hopefully this will give me a reason to try new places. I'll try to figure out a way to post a running tally of all of the places that I have eaten. Second, I am going to try to take more (and better pictures) in my quest to become more like Robert Peyton.
  • Rene: Though I personally can't speak for my partner-in-crime, I can tell you this: the guy can cook... and brew beer... and make satsuma limoncello ... and cure meats. He has been documenting his latest experiments in the kitchen, so I don't want to spoil it for you.

Thanks for taking the ride with us so far. As long as you keep reading, we'll keep eating.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peter,

An admirable quest if there ever was one. I think you need to lay down some rules and exceptions for the challenge. For one, I suggest institutional food be an exception.

For example (Bpockrath voice on), suppose you were to eat at Arnaud's this week. Then, suppose you were to attend 6 rehearsal dinners at Arnaud's over the course of this year (because as we all know, everyone loves to have a rehearsal dinner there). Challenge violation? I think not. Best of luck

Anonymous said...

You can take the man out of law school, but you can't take law school out of the man.

Well played, Section123.

Rene said...

Yes, Section 123 obviously more stringent mechanisms need to be enforced for Peter to survive this ordeal. Here is my suggestion, Peter can't eat at the same restaurant twice all year anytime he pays the check. If someone else buys the meal (i.e. bidness expense or rehearsal) the meal does not count.

Peter said...

I like where your head's at S123SF.

It's actually been fairly tough already. Whenever I have suggested a place to go eat, The Folk Singer will chime in with, "Are you sure that you want to burn your only meal at _______?"

For example, I passed on 24hr Bud's Broiler on Friday night because I knew that I would be far more intoxicated (and therefore enjoy the food more) on a future night this year.

Rene said...

Ok Bud's Broiler can not count. That would be stupid and detrimental to a New Orleans landmark.

Anonymous said...

Agreed. Based on the lack of 24 hour dining establishments in this city (at least decent ones), I think you should make an exception.

The Reverse Cinderella (only to be invoked after midnight): Between the hours of 12AM and 6AM, provided Peter has not slept yet (falling asleep at the bar does not constitute sleeping), he may dine at any 24-hour eatery.

This exception is necessary too, because if you don't follow it, God only knows where you may end up in the pursuit of a late night meal. You could end up driving to Louie's in Baton Rouge at 4AM because you're out of places to eat here. This exception could save your life.

Rene said...

All those in favor, say Aye...

Peter the challenge has been laid down. I trust you can follow through.

Anonymous said...

Members of the Academy, both readers, bloggers, I stand before you in cyberspace the most humbled man in the blogoshpere. I feel honored and am deeply moved that I was chosen Blackened Out’s 2008 Blog Character Least Likely to Succeed. Obviously this was a very close race with The Pope and I would like to thank my team of attorneys, the State of Minnesota, and Al Franken for his inspiration. I look forward to 2009 and another epic battle with his Holiness. I believe with the encouragement from members of the Blackened Out family and their credit cards, the stresses of a failing economy and my credit cards, and an Obama administration allowing me the least amount of personal responsibility possible I can make 2009 more disastrous and entertaining for all of us.

Peter, I wish the best of luck in meeting all your challenges.

Robert said...

A) you guys are scaring me with this challenge. I can't imagine not returning to at least a dozen restaurants over the course of a year.

B) Peter, I have a way you can be like me almost overnight. Let's swap livers! I know a guy who'll do the job for cheap. I think he ordinarily does teeth, but he seems competent.

Call me?