Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Dong Phuong - A Journey to the Far East (New Orleans)

Get on Chef Menteur Highway and just start driving. Those are the best directions I can give to Dong Phuong, where a wondrous world of Vietnamese goodies awaits those who are willing to make the journey. This place is, in a word, simply amazing. But after my first trip, I decided that there is a bit of strategy involved in order to maximize the benefits of this bakery and restaurant.
First, I suggest cruising the bakery to assess the assortment of Vietnamese pastries. Stuffed with what seems like an endless number of combinations of pork, onion, jicama, and hard boiled eggs, your head will likely start spinning trying to decide. The steamed buns resting in the warmer are delicious as well. But be patient and observe your fellow shoppers. The regulars usually know when a fresh batch of goodies will arrive hot from the oven. And when they do, you will witness a display not unlike the No Reservations segment where Bourdain describes the French waiting in line at the boulangerie as crack addicts looking for a fix.

The coolest aspect of the bakery, in my opinion, is the banh mi station. It's like a freaking Subway for Vietnamese po-boys. Chinese rolled ham, chicken, liver sausage and fresh veggies stuffed inside baguettes pulled right from the oven. If there was a stool, I could have sat there for days.But The Folk Singer and I had already planned on eating in the restaurant, and I am glad that we did. Forgoing my usual bun cha (which I was OK with because TFS ordered it as her meal), I decided on a sticky rice plate of grilled beef, shredded pork, and a fried egg. The pork was strange - served cold and had an almost rubbery texture. I think that it may have been sliced pig ears. Not what I expected, but still tasty. The beef was tender and flavorful as are most Vietnamese chargrilled meats. I ask again: How do they do it?

Just go for it. Make the drive, and you will be handsomely rewarded. Trust me. Rumor has it that Dong Phuong makes a mean kingcake as well. Which reminds me - I almost forgot the best part:

Cream puff to go.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The shredded pork (bi) is thinly sliced strips of pork skin. Deliciously chewy, slightly crunchy, and wonderful in a spring roll (bi cuon).

Peter said...

Thanks for the clarification, Celeste. I did not get much crunch from the pork, but I think that they would be a great filler for a spring roll.

Rene said...

Hey Peter,
You can write about something other than your emerging Asian Fetish.

Love,
The Management

Donnie Boy Riguez said...

I don't get scared often, but I was traveling down Chef Menteur at night recently and was apprehended by the fear. I don't particularly care for feeling like that.

Bugeyed Lindsay said...

can't wait to try this place!

Snakebite said...

Just went back to read this and noticed that you mentioned that they apparently make a great king cake. I can personally confirm that their king cake is the best I've ever had. They have mostly ones filled with cream cheese though, which are incredible themselves, but I prefer regular ones. Making the drive Saturday to bring one home.