Thursday, July 31, 2008

For Lunch Today...

I lived in Austin for 4 years and was fortunate to experience a lot of great Tex Mex as well as some authentic Mexican cuisine (though not in the border towns we frequented every few months or so ... but that's another story for another time). So I'm spoiled, but that's not to say that we don't have some great places around town to indulge in tacos and enchiladas. Of course, most put a NOLA twist on the food, but who ever said there is anything wrong with that?

Which is why I like Juan's because it does not pretend to be something it's not. Is it authentic Mexican or even Tex Mex? No. But it's still good. I like the Juaha Roll of tarragon chicken salad, avocado, spinach, jack and cream cheese rolled in a tortilla and sliced sushi style. Anything remotely Mexican about that? Not really. But it's freaking delicious, and it's labeled as a "salad" on the menu (which usually makes me feel like I am making a health conscious choice at the table). The burritos are loaded with fillings, but they are pretty messy to eat. A friend of mine swears by The Luau quesadilla of shrimp, bacon, cheese, and pineapple salsa; and my Dad always orders the red fish tacos.

Juan's Flying Burrito. A creole taqueria? Only in NOLA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A lot of people only go to college for 4 years, they are called losers.

-Van Wilder