Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Winesday

Restaurants operate on razor thin margins. The costs of a restaurant include, just as an illustrative list: rent, labor, insurance, supplies, food, inventory, china, glassware, equipment, telephone lines, websites, marketing personnel, and one of those open/close signs. These costs are not reflected in your food, really, but in the price you pay for booze. Restaurants have to do this, otherwise your scallop entree would be closer to $65 a plate instead of $25.

OK, so in general if a restaurant can buy a bottle of wine for $12 from their wholesaler, it will list the bottle on their wine list for between $36-$48. You can buy this wine at your local wine store for $18. The markup does not seem justified. And maybe it is not.

But that got the old noggin going. Living in New Orleans, roughly 40% of the property is not assessed taxes. That means if 100 dollars in property tax is needed, that amount will attach itself to only 60% of the property. Therefore, as a property owner in New Orleans who is neither a church nor governmental agency, I pay more than my fair share of the taxes.

When I go to eat, 9 times out of 1o we order booze. This means that I, and likely you, are paying for more of the restaurants overhead than a couple that drinks iced tea or worse water. So how do we fix this?

Well, there are two proposals. First, raise food prices and lower wine prices. That won't happen, so on to number two. What if 40 or so restaurants in town decided to cut their wine prices in half for one night only (you can exclude bottles over say $200, as we call those "The Papal Selections"). And not on some night like Tuesday, when people do not dine out. But on a marquee Friday or Saturday night. Wine, if you choose to drink it at a restaurant, should not be an indulgence or cost shifting burden.

Then, take a look at the numbers. My guess is that people who don't normally order wine would, and those that do would order more. Listen, economists I ain't, but even making 200% profit on wine and alcohol sales is doing pretty good. And if you sell two bottles of wine rather than one, you have made the same revenue over your cost. But the diner is happier, your inventory is moving, and likely your staff gets a bigger tip.

This article is fraught with missteps and assumptions, granted. But what are your thoughts?

4 comments:

nmisscommenter said...

I've complained a little about the current system, but I have come around to liking it.

One thing not acknowledged is that there really is a lot of variation in pricing strategies. I was in a newish, fashionable, pretty nice restaurant in Memphis recently. The prices for apps and antres were very very reasonable. Then I noticed that the wine prices were jacked up-- $13 a glass for wine I see in other towns at $7-8 (I forget bottle prices, but they were comparable).

On the other hand, in Herbsaint recently for a long meal, I wanted a glass of desert wine instead of food for desert. I bought a glass of Sauternes, which was pricey but didn't seem too much so. Later, I saw the same wine in a liquor store and noted that Herbsaint did not seem to have taken the usual steep markup. Not sure if they were doing it, but it would make total sense to price something like that at a good profit but where it was more likely to sell than at the usual restaurant markup. It certainly made me slightly more likely to go that route. I can forgo after-dinner drinks a lot more happily than wine with dinner.

QB said...

There is a restaurant here in Jackson (Julep) that only marks up wine $5-10 per bottle. They sell a lot of wine.

KF said...

In BR I find myself leaning towards Sullivans for lunch on Fridays because every bottle under $300 is 1/2 price. Instead of the $40-60 restaurant range I usually hunt for, I buy in the $75-125 and almost always get 2 bottles. Seems more restaurants would try it out - at least for lunch.

AnneBerryWrites said...

Thoughtful post, thanks!

I'd be interested in half-price cocktails or beers, though I don't know that cutting prices on a certain night would draw us in.

If we knew a place had long-running specials, we'd probably go there more often.

We've only been here 9 months, though, and aiming for new restaurants all the time.