Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Season of Sacrifice

The binge has finally ended.... Or has it?

As we last discussed on Friday, it's been a non-stop party around here since Christmas. But why fool ourselves into thinking that the good times have stopped rolling simply because some of us are supposed to abstain from eating the flesh of hooved animals for the next few Fridays?

After the resounding success of our "Farewell to Meat" series during Carnival, we have decided to embrace our Catholic upbringing with a new series this Lenten season: "Fish Fridays." From boiled crawfish and raw oysters to turtle soup and trout amandine, we will explore the bounty of our local waters through our favorite seafood dishes. So when Friday rolls around and you are trying to decide how to avoid going vegan for the day, look no further than here.

Finally, we wish everyone good luck with your respective Lenten sacrifices. As is my custom, I will be making a run at a self-imposed prohibition on deep fried foods, pizza, and sweets for the next 46 days. (Hopefully though, this year I will avoid counteracting my attempt at health and wellness with late night overindulgences of peanut butter and honey.) Rumor has it that Bloggle, a/k/a NOLAWineGuy, is giving up Twitter, but I'll believe that when I see it.

As for The Pope, well... he gave up on giving up stuff a long, long time ago.

6 comments:

Rene said...

I'm giving up Carbs. Or whatever pastas, rice, potatoes and the like are called.

Donnie boy will be proud.

Anonymous said...

I'm not Catholic, but being raised in NOLA, I might as well be. As such, I'm giving up Wal-Mart in favor of my local Farmers Market. In order to pay for this hefty pennance, I'll also be giving up dining out during the week. Please forgive me ...

Donnie Boy Riguez said...

Don't forget bread. That's the most difficult one to let go of. I can't have a Reuben, a catfish po boy with yellow cheese, or a veal parm on Bunny.

Becky said...

I love how you specify deep fat frying. In my household we refer to that as "the bacon exclusion."

Wang said...

I've long maintained that I'd jump at the chance to give up beef, pork and poultry (all of which I love) for the rest of my life, if it were possible within my budget to replace it all with an equal amount of seafood. Wouldn't even think twice about it and would never look back.

Rene said...

Wang,

You bring up a very good point. If you are a) Catholic b) Live in Southeast Louisiana, what are you really sacrificing by not eating plump oysters, briny shrimp, and spicy crawfish?

We should give up seafood.

Do I have a second?

Crickets