Friday, February 19, 2010

Fish Fridays - Sushi Survey

A while back, Rene and I had lunch with a fellow food writer visiting from NYC. While discussing the various cuisines of New Orleans, The Big Apple remarked: "I usually steer away from sushi when I am down here. I would rather spend my time eating things like oysters and softshell crabs in New Orleans, and save the fresh salmon and tuna for when I visit the Northwest."

I understand that when people visit New Orleans, they are looking for oysters rockefeller, barbeque shrimp, and other dishes which our city is well known for. I'll admit that when I have visitors, I take them to eat po-boys and gumbo as opposed to burritos and burgers. But to dismiss an entire genre of food based on regional stereotypes would amount to missing out on a lot of good eats.

I love sushi and firmly believe that New Orleans has quite a few sushi bars worth dining in during Lent. When I'm looking to avoid weighing myself down with fried seafood and peeling crawfish while wearing suit just isn't an option, I usually turn to raw fish. In this inaugural edition of Fish Fridays, here is my ranking of the 10 sushi bars that I have visited over the last year.
  1. Kanno - After your first meal prepared by Chef Hide and his wife Lin, you will never again hesitate to make the journey to Fat City. I'm partial to the Lobster Dynamite Roll and Hot Garlic Softshell Crab, but Hide has never steered me wrong with any of his impromptu creations.
  2. Kyoto - While the quality of the rice has varied on recent visits, I still believe that Kyoto serves some of the best sushi in town. Best bets: Poke Salad and the Shrimp Sara Roll.
  3. Sushi Bros - Quality fish, sizable portions, and fast service all at an affordable price. The 4 Roll Lunch Special, complete with soup and salad, will run you $11. If you're into more complicated rolls, I recommend the FEMA Roll (pictured top).
  4. Sake Cafe (Uptown) - Extensive menu of special rolls with unique preparations and a dizzying array of sauces.
  5. Little Tokyo (Mid-City) - According to the menu, fish is flown in weekly from the Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo. If the Japanese style "fish and chips" is available, order it as a starter.
  6. Shogun - The first sushi bar in the area. Try the Steve Roll of barbeque eel and avocado.
  7. Ninja - Some of the nicest staff in the business. Don't miss the Cajun Tuna Tataki.
  8. Rock-n-Sake - At night this place resembles the Jersey Shore, but during Friday lunch the crowd is more my style. Order the Calamari Crunch Roll, but be prepared to battle on the dance floor.
  9. Wasabi - The original location on Frenchman is better than the new one in West End.
  10. Hana - Big fan of the complimentary noodle salad and the large portions (see the salmon box above), but unfortunately I find the fish lacks in quality behind the others.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mikimoto should rank above quite a few of these on your list.

Anonymous said...

No Horinoya?

Peter said...

Anon #1,

Keep in mind that list is of sushi bars "that I have visited over the last year." I have not been to Mikimoto since probably 1999, so I have no knowledge on which to judge. I'll try to make it over there one day soon. Any specific recommendations on what to order?

Anon #2,

I just have never been impressed with Horinoya. It's fans keep telling me to go at night for an omakase type meal, but that has yet to occur.

Uncle Lee-Bird said...

We love Sushi Bros! But we've never tried Kanno. You definitely have me intrigued with the soft shell crab and also the dynamite lobster roll.

Frolic said...

I don't think we have particularly great sushi in New Orleans. Probably we don't have enough folks with big expense counts.

When I lived in D.C., we used to go to Kaz Sushi Bistro when we could afford it. That place was great.

I probably go to Kyoto most, because it's by my house.

Kanno would be my top choice, but I don't think it's outstanding. Flavors are creative, but sometimes I've gotten fish that was cut without a lot of care and rolls that are a little ragged.

Not huge issues, and they don't affect the taste. But with sushi, I expect a higher level of precision.

Unknown said...

I'm a resident of mid-city, and I'll be the first to say that Little Tokyo is not deserving of this list. Please revise accordingly by placing Mikimoto and Horinoya on it.

Donnie Boy Riguez said...

The FEMA roll is the best new roll I've tasted in this town. My absolute favorite. Of course I get it with no rice!

Rene said...

If Kanno is busy, I would suggest you go to Korea House. As when the place is popping, you dont get the same attention.

Good Eater said...

Kyoto rules. Try the Desiree roll next time. I never leave Orleans Parish so don't have anything to say about Kanno.

Peter said...

Frolic,

I feel like everyone who loves sushi always thinks that the best is served in their hometown, but I have always wondered if the major cities simply do it better. My experience with sushi outside of New Orleans is limited to Sage 400 in Houston, which was good. And I echo your comment re: precision, as limiting the strokes of the knife when slicing keeps the flesh of the fish in tact.

Tim,

Alright. I will try both Horinoya and Mikimoto in the next few weeks and report back. Any suggestions as to what to order?

Frolic said...

"I feel like everyone who loves sushi always thinks that the best is served in their hometown, but I have always wondered if the major cities simply do it better."

Well, I grew up in Tulsa, OK, and makes no claims that the sushi there is even edible.

But yes, I think big city have the advantage. It seems like being able to source and sell the best fish is essential. You need enough wealthy folks to pay for that. And not old-line money, like in New Orleans. You need bankers with bonuses or lobbyists with expense accounts. (Or a large Japanese population)

Anonymous said...

Definitely get the spicy tuna salad at Mikimoto to start with!

jeffrey said...

Looks like the consensus in this thread is that Peter needs to go back to Mikimoto. I agree! We've spent the past few months looking for a new sushi place after a bad experience at Sake. We settled on Mikimoto even though we have to get up outta Uptown to get there.

Anonymous said...

Good call on Kanno Sushi... I live way uptown by Children's Hospital, and I go there at least once a week sometimes twice. I have eaten and still do from time to time eat at all of the other places that have been mentioned and to be honest I don't think they compare except for maybe Horinoya for fish quality, but it is a bit expensive. Try the Elvis Roll or the Godzilla handroll next time you go to Kanno, or just let Hide (Elvis is his nickname) feed you!

Susan said...

I realize you posted this 7 months ago, but seriously, no Horinoya? Horinoya is much better than Shogun, Ninja, Wasabi, or Hana (Wasabi is fine, but I would rate the others as mediocre at best).
I love your reviews but I am beginning to question your taste based on this list.

CoastingThroughTheSouth said...

Horinoya and Sushi Brothers are my undisputed #1 and #2. Seriously, Horinoya is the only place in New Orleans I've had good uni. They also have the best smoked salmon in the city (although sushi bros. is right behind them).

I haven't been to kanno though (as close as it is to my office, I'm ashamed to admit it). Maybe I could join y'all next time you go. It's always best to go to a new sushi restaurant with a regular, to show the chef you mean business.