Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Let the F(e)asting Begin...?

As of midnight, the Mardi Gras binge has ended and the Lenten season of temperance has begun. But, in New Orleans, ... has it really? Honestly. Does abstaining from meat really constitute a sacrifice in this city? I can understand if you live in a landlocked town where steak, ribs, and sausage are considered three of the five major food groups. (Not that there's anything wrong with that). But what about in the Crescent City where the bounty of the sea is so plentiful?

For the past few years, my personal Lenten sacrifice has been to abstain from so-called "trash" foods. No fast food, deep fried goodies, pizza, or sweets of any sort for 46 days. (In addition to foregoing meat from hooved animals on Fridays, of course.) Anyway, even though I have these self imposed constraints on my diet, I feel like I still eat pretty damn well during Lent. How do I do it? Simple: I choose wisely.

So without further ado, here are my "Top 5 Lenten Indulgences." (Sorry, Wendy's seasonal fish sandwich did not make the list.)

5. Sushi - Fresh salmon and tuna in any and all forms kicked up with sriracha. So simple yet so good.
4. Eggs - You could go high class with Eggs Sardou, but there's nothing wrong with a fluffy cheese omelette.
3. Shrimp - With grits, in a spicy remoulade, or barbequed New Orleans style.
2. Crawfish - Still steaming from the pot and piled high on a table covered in newspaper.
1. Oysters - From raw to rockefeller, I can't get enough of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummmsss

Anonymous said...

I think you will like this blog.

http://bestbyfarr.wordpress.com/