Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Shalom/Ciao

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Sometimes I wonder if Jewish and Italian people get along with each other. Then I think, "Well, if the Fernando and the Shaggy Joe can live together harmoniously on the menu at Stein's, then anything is possible." After all, sandwiches are much more difficult to please than people...

I don't know if anyone in the city makes a better Reuben than Stein's. Just look at it: thin slices of hot corned beef, melted swiss, crisp sauerkraut, and russian dressing smeared on both slices of toasted rye. The perfect example of how the deliciousness of the whole sandwich can be greater than the sum of its parts. Sure, it will set you back $11, but the inch-thick stack of corned beef justifies the price in my opinion.

The chicken salad is chunky, not shredded, with a nice crunch from diced celery and just barely enough mayo to combine. But I am not going to lie, my chicken salad was an afterthought compared to The Folk Singer's Reuben.
'
We also had a potato knish and a side of potato salad, but neither was very impressive. Next time I am going for the chopped liver. Stein's is a great place for Sunday brunch/lunch if you are searching for something outside the typical eggs benedict realm. In fact, the last time TFS and I showed up at Stein's at high noon on a Sunday, there were 15 people in line ahead of us. Obviously, we are not the only ones who think that the food is worth waiting for.
'
Stein's Deli - Birdie

3 comments:

Leigh C. said...

God bless Stein's for bringing true nor'eastern-style deli to New Orleans...now if they could only make those pastrami sammiches a little thicker...

Donnie Boy Riguez said...

I find Martin's reuben is pretty good, but will have to try Stein's the next time I'm uptown.

Becky said...

OMG Shaggy Joe so awesome favorite sandwich drool (that's some stream of consciousness for your Wednesday morning). I also love their chicken salad, especially used as a dip with bagel chips.