Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"I've Never Met a Cheese that I Didn't Like"

The Parisian Princess uttered those words when presented with a 7 course cheese tasting at Fromagerie 31 on Rue de Seine in La Ville-Lumière. I, on the other hand, have in fact crossed paths with a cheese or two which I could live without, but those are few and far between. Often there is no better meatless meal than a hunk of cheese, a plate of olives, and a loaf of crusty bread. And when I need to satisfy my fromage fix, there is only one place I go: St. James Cheese Company.

If I had to choose my profession based solely on what I would eat for lunch, then I would be a ploughman. The toil would be worth this mid-day meal of cheese (cheddar, stilton, and goat), pate, and bread. Throw a little chutney in there plus a green salad and bread to round it out, and you have one of my favorite no frills meals.

But if you are more of a sandwich guy or gal, St. James has you covered as well. Here we have the "Mozzarella" with salami and pesto on grilled ciabatta. At St. James there is no question which ingredient is the star of each sandwich, which is why you order the "Beecher's Cheddar" or "Smokey Blue" as opposed to the "Turkey" or "Roast Beef."
'
And one final bit of news: After an August hiatus, St. James is once again open for Sunday brunch.
'
St. James Cheese Co. - Eagle

6 comments:

Becky said...

I would either be a ploughman or a Japanese businessman.

Celeste said...

It's not exactly a meatless meal if you had pate...

Kelly said...

I honestly believe that goat cheese was God's personal gift to me.

Peter said...

Becky - Japanese businessman = bento box?

Celeste - Oops. That phrase was supposed to go in the above paragraph. Good eye.

Becky said...

I guess a bento box if I was eating in, but I was thinking of the so-called menu item at Shogun with like 13 different dishes and pickles.

What's with the bento box craze though? Have you noticed this?

Parisian Princess said...

Peter,

I love this article devoted to cheese! It makes me want to go back to Paris real bad....

Long live the fromage,

PP