Monday, September 28, 2009

The Downtown Deli Diagnosis - Part 1: Welty's

Blogger's Note: Here is a diagram of my thought process on Monday morning:

Monday --> Start of the work week --> What's for lunch today? --> It's Monday, so I have a lot of work to do and need somewhere quick near my office --> My office is downtown --> "When you're alone and life is making you lonely, you can always go... downtown" --> Seinfeld is still the greatest sitcom of all time

When you're working downtown and need a quick lunch, you usually duck into the corner sandwich shop. But which ones are worth waiting in line for? Welcome to the Downtown Deli Diagnosis, the new Monday series on Blackened Out aimed at you captains of the cubicle. Over the next month or so, we'll start off the week with a review of one of the more popular CBD lunch spots, and at the end we'll take a vote on who's the best. Feel free to play along by commenting on your likes and dislikes of each week's feature. First up...

When you eat lunch at Welty's, one thing is for certain: you will not leave hungry. Just look at the stack of corned beef on that reuben. Ham, turkey, roast beef - they are all piled high on your choice of bread and served with a pile of kettle chips. Tina Welty works the register in the front while her husband Donald runs the kitchen right behind her. It's a family affair - the kind of place where the woman takes your order and says, "Thank you, baby."

Feel like a muffuletta? No problem. Only want 1/2 muffuletta? Sorry, you can only get a whole, and it'll cost you a hefty $9 for a sandwich that can feed 4 people. Or try the New Orleans AK with your choice of 4 meats and 4 cheeses on toasted muffuletta bread.

The menu only has 6 or so sandwiches and even fewer salads, but the daily specials usually look and sound like the best choices. Every day there is a special salad, sandwich, and entree, and you can even check them out online before you go. One day it might be the above 12" bratwurst, the next maybe a plate of fettuccine alfredo topped with paneed chicken.

Other idiosyncrasies include a delicious creole potato salad and a lagniappe bar where you can dress your sandwich your way with a wide range of toppings. (I know, it seems inconsequential, but I appreciate the no hassle opportunity to get extra pickles, honey mustard, and horseradish mayo without feeling guilty about slowing down service.) The german chocolate brownies in the display case look heavenly, but I only reward myself with those if I run 6 miles in the morning. I'll be sure to report back if and when that ever happens.

Welty's Deli - Par

4 comments:

Leslie said...

I love Welty's. Tina is as sweet as pie. Their dishes are two full meals for me, so there's an added value.

TheFolkSinger said...

Don't forget- Welty's is open "Saints Sundays" now- before all home games and they will stay open until the crowd runs out.

Donnie Boy Riguez said...

Underrating Welty's a bit Peter? Par? I didn't find a negative in the review besides you not wanting to fork out 9 bones for a muff. That's the going rate in this town.

Peter said...

Donnie Boy,

It was a close call, but I am sticking by my par. Welty's serves a good sandwich, but it's just not a place that I get excited about eating at. And the comment about the muff was meant as a compliment considering that a $9 sandwich can easily serve 2 people. Welty's has great value in my opinion, but I just wouldn't put it in birdie territory.

By the way, if they ever again offer the "Cajun Cuban" with hogshead cheese, order it without hesitation.