Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Mecca in Manchac

Some restaurants are worth driving for. I'm not really sure if Middendorf's fits into the 30 mile category, but it's definitely worth the 15 minute detour on the drive between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. The above shot is of the annex building, which is where The Folk Singer and I ate late last month. But as Brett Anderson alerted us a few weeks ago, the original building has since then reopened for business.

The thin fried catfish is a must try, and you can order it in combination with shrimp, oysters, frog legs, stuffed crab, or all of the above. The portions are enormous, and to-go boxes are de rigueur. Personally, I think that eating reheated fried seafood tastes as good as the styrofoam container it came in, so I would suggest splitting the seafood platter with a friend (or foe).

The thin catfish is almost like eating potato chips, though the breaded exterior does not overwhelm the flesh of the fish as you might expect. A squeeze of lemon and a dash of Crystal is all you need. I wish that I could say that the french fries, cole slaw, and potato salad were as good as the seafood, but I would be lying.

As long as at least one person is ordering the thin fried catfish, such that you can steal a piece or two of theirs, then you should strongly considered ordering your seafood broiled. I had the broiled whole flounder, which was served skin on to help protect the flesh from drying out. Catfish and shrimp also come off the grill basted with lemon butter.
'
We had banana bread pudding with rum sauce for dessert, but I hear that the white chocolate pecan pie or banana split is the best way to go.
'
Middendorf's - Birdie

2 comments:

Donnie Boy Riguez said...

I went to Southeastern for 3 semesters yet never pulled off 55 to go to Middendorf's, although I had been there on prior occasions. I guess it's the hotspot before SLU games.

Brad said...

Middendorf's never disappoints.