Monday, October 20, 2008

Monday, Monday

"Every other day, every other day,
Every other day of the week is fine, yeah
But whenever Monday comes, but whenever Monday comes
You can find me cryin' all of the time."

I always find this song playing in my head on a Monday after a Saints loss.  I have a strong belief in the truth of the rumor that productivity in New Orleans on the Monday after a Saints loss is markedly decreased.  Some people might say that we have misplaced priorities.  We call it passion for our city and for our team.

But thankfully, Monday always calls for one of my favorite meals (no matter if the Saints win or lose): red beans and rice.  It's a dish so delicious yet so simple to make that it seems ludicrous to order them when dining out.  Still, some places cook them better than others, and it's usually the neighborhood joints that do them best.  Here are a few of my favorite spots to get a plate of these delicious legumes:
  1. Dunbar's - Now comes complete with a JD from Loyola.
  2. Mandina's - The only day that they serve them is Monday.
  3. Acme Oyster House - Sure, they don't make them in house (I am pretty sure they get them from this guy), but that doesn't make them any less savory.
  4. Ignatius Grocery - I just wish that they would put ice in their drinks.
  5. Liuzza's - And a Fat Kid Special?
Note: I hear that EAT also has great red beans; but they ain't open on Mondays, and I refuse to order red beans at a restaurant on any other day except Monday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be blasphemous, but BC thinks Popeyes has the best red beans and rice. The lard they mix in makes all the difference...

Peter said...

Not at all, BC. Popeyes red beans holds a special place in my heart as well. A "family size" order of red beans from Popeyes makes for a wonderful afternoon snack.