Monday, October 27, 2008

Dear Fr. Tom: You're Out of Your Element

This is from Fr. Tom's Dining Diary this past Thursday:
"Lola wasn't as busy as the last time I was there. They said it was LSU football. Restaurateurs hate LSU football, and must be glad to see the Tigers lose sometimes."

Whenever read something like this from Fr. Tom, I immediately think of this scene from The Big Lebowski:
Walter Sobchak: Were you listening to The Dude's story, Donny?
The Dude: Walter...
Donny: What?
Walter Sobchak: Were you listening to The Dude's story?
Donny: I was bowling.
Walter Sobchak: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

I am not doubting Fr. Tom's contention that restaurateurs "hate LSU football." I am sure that restaurants are slow on Saturday nights when people are either at the game or watching the Tigers at home. But how would the Tigers losing improve restaurant business on Saturday night? What irritates me is how Fr. Tom has no idea how a loss would affect the Tigers at that particular point in time. Newsflash: even if the Tigers had lost to Florida (which is the game which Fr. Tom was referring to), they still would have been in the hunt for a National Championship game. In fact, one could make an argument that every game after a loss is even MORE important because there is no cushion left.

It just really bugged me when I read that on Friday. And after the loss on Saturday ... well ... let's just say that I had to allow a "cool off period" before writing this post.

End of rant.

In other news: Did anyone else have a heart attack on Sunday when Brees was running toward the back of the end zone? And if that wasn't enough, we had a Hail Mary on the last play of the game. The person sitting next to me almost broke out the defibrillator. I felt like I had just eaten a Fat Kid Special.

No comments: