Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Greetings from the Red Stick

As Rene said, I have been riding out Gustav up here in Baton Rouge.  While I am thrilled that NOLA was spared severe damage, our neighbors here to the northwest bore the brunt of the storm.  You can't walk or drive 50 feet without seeing an uprooted tree or a downed power line.  Though such damage is thought to be minimal relative to what New Orleans suffered from Katrina, the destruction here in BR should not be trivialized just because there were no levees breached.  Baton Rouge served as a place of refuge for many of us during and after Katrina, and we hope that the city's recovery is rapid and complete.

That being said, I could really use some good eats.  Chargrilled pork from Nine Roses, a Fat Kid Special, and a FEMA Roll (how appropriate) from Sushi Bros have all crossed my mind as cravings.  I read that Luke was open.  That would work too.

The Pope safely rode out the storm with his mobile wine cellar.  Throughout the past four days, I have received such text messages as "Strip Steak with J Pinot" and "PB&J with a 2001 Cakebread Cabernet."  Oh, and the best was: "I am almost out of Grand Marnier.  I may have to make a trip back to my house."  La Papa sure does know how to throw a hurricane party.

No comments: