Friday, September 26, 2008

For Brunch This Weekend...


Though he originally became famous for his voluminous selections of vino, Mr. Cedric Martin quickly became well known around town as one to put out a great sandwich. Now the Martin Wine Cellar in Metairie is quickly becoming a favorite spot to grab Sunday brunch.

On my last visit I had the above pictured tournedos with sunny side up eggs, potato hash, and crispy ribbons of fried sweet potato. Grits and grillades is a mainstay on the menu, but the other selections change from week to week. There are always an eggs special, soup, quiche, and pancake or french toast to choose from. If the bananas nut foster pancakes are an option, your decision has been made for you.

But the best part of dining at Martin's is browsing through the aisles while you wait for your food. Need some cheese, truffled sea salt, or an '82 Bourdeaux? You have come to the right place. Last week I watched some guy load up his cart with more wine than is served at all of the masses in the Archdiocese of New Orleans on a Sunday. As I heard the clerk tell the man, "Your total is $1431.45," I told The Folk Singer: "That is what The Pope will be like in 30 years."
'
Then I thought to myself: "Wait. That can't be right. Why would The Pope pay when he can turn water into wine?"

No comments: