Thursday, April 2, 2009

Lovin's What I Gott

After missing out a few weeks ago, The Folk Singer and I finally tried Gott Gourmet Cafe for lunch last weekend. While we did not explore the menu that deeply, what we did eat I really enjoyed. Especially the Gott Salad. And that's saying a lot because when have I ever said that the best part of a meal was the salad?

This mix of greens, grape tomatoes, pecans, and seasonal berries (strawberries and blueberries in this case) was awesome in it's own right. But oh no, it doesn't stop there. The salad is then topped with panko fried brie, sliced open so that the cheese oozes out like molten lava.

How awesome does that look? TFS swapped the raspberry vinaigrette for the orange-honey sherry vinaigrette, so keep that in mind if you are so inclined.

I had the St. Patty's Day Massacre which featured the house braised and pulled corned beef. Ian McNulty opined that this sandwich has just too much going on, and I think that I would have had the same experience had I not ordered the sandwich sans french fries. But the combination of corned beef and cole slaw held up well as a twist on the classic reuben.

Overall the food was good, with innovative dishes and descriptions which did not stray so far off that one had to spend 10 minutes trying to decipher each choice. Both the pulled pork wrap and Chicago style hot dogs which passed by our table looked very enticing, so I will have to try those out next time. And don't forget that Gott is BYOB. According to The Folk Singer, a perfect pairing with the Gott Salad would be a nice chilled glass of J Pinot Gris.

Gott Gourmet Cafe - Birdie.

No comments: