Thursday, March 25, 2010

Mall Food

There are few things in life which I loathe more than going to the mall. Circling the parking lot for an open space... avoiding eye contact with Rosetta Stone salesmen... spending money.... Unless you're either a teenage girl or a masochist, then I don't know why you would feel differently. But we all need "stuff" at some point in our lives, and even though I strive fervently to spend my shopping dollars in Orleans Parish, I have found myself at Causeway and Vets on quite a few Saturdays of late.

As an incentive for agreeing to carry her bags around Lakeside, The Folk Singer usually promises me lunch as a reward, and even though I will not hesitate to profess my unequivocal love for cookie cake from Great American Cookie Company - no, I am not joking - the food court at Lakeside just doesn't cut it for me. Thankfully, just across Severn in Fat City, awaits a dizzying array of meats just begging to be rolled into fresh tortillas, topped with salsa, and gobbled down with glee.

The ambience at Taco San Miguel is not what you would expect from an "authentic" taqueria. Beside the Spanish echoing from the TV and stereo, the shiny aluminum high-top tables and chairs outside and drive-thru window might fool you into unconsciously ordering an hamburguesa. That might not be a bad choice, but allow me to offer a few suggestions for those of you looking for something a little different.

Nachos San Miguel (above) are phenomenal. What sets these apart are the two types and textures of cheese - both melted Chihuahua cheese and tiny crumbles of queso fresco. The queso flameado is served in a cast iron pan bubbling with cheese and either chorizo (too greasy) or pico de gallo (much better).

For those penny pinchers, Taco San Miguel offers free chips and salsa bar, where a quartet of salsas are lined up like colors of the rainbow. For my tastes, the "Hot" version is overwhelming with the flavor of roasted tomatoes. The medium verde is my favorite, but the two mild versions (chipotle and basic red chili) are also welcome at my table. The bar also includes fresh jalapenos, lime wedges, cilantro and chopped onions for topping your...

Sopes? This corn pita topped with your choice of meat, lettuce, tomato, queso fresco, sour cream, and guacamole is a steal at $2.50. Think of it as an inside-out pupusa. For those longing for homemade tortillas, the Tres Tacos plate comes with 3 tacos + black beans and rice. You get your option of corn or flour tortillas and lettuce/tomato or cilantro/onions.

But what's most impressive about Taco San Miguel is the extensive list of meat choices, a/k/a "carne al gusto." Choose from shreds of slow cooked barbacoa, flabby and flavorful chicharrones, or fruity slices of cactus. The tripe was entirely too chewy, but the lengua (tongue) was spot on. Grilled chicken, pork, and beef are available with a combination of marinades and sauces.

Viva el Ciudad Gordo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did Taco San Miguel close? I can't find any info about it, and their phones don't seem to be connected. Their Sopes are the best in town, and the entire establishment offers incredible value.