Thursday, March 18, 2010

Crawfish, Spice, and Things Not Very Nice

"Boiled crawfish. I have to have it. Some place like Sammy's in Baton Rouge. They have the best crawfish I've ever eaten. And hurry up." Was the message from Lindsay last week. So we set out to Bucktown to find it. While we technically found boiled crawfish, our envie was not satisfied.

Deanie's Seafood in Bucktown has been around long enough for one to forget about it. As a kid, we used to always drive past it on Good Friday and marvel at the lines. What seemed to be thousands of people were gathered in the shell parking lot, sucking down cold beers and smoking cigarettes as they waited for their table or ice chest full of crawfish. But I can't ever remember actually eating there.

We sat down and were promptly given some boiled potatoes and butter. Damn you , Lenten promises. Then some beers arrived in a big, broad schooner frosting at the edge.

So far so good. Then the real food came. First a seafood gumbo which was very tasty, but the bits of crab had been boiled into oblivion. What once had perhaps been plump crabmeat, now looked like tiny filaments afloat on a brown bayou. Good stock though, with a sturdy shrimp flavored backbone.

The shrimp remoulade arrived as you see it below. Salads and cold seafood appetizers with a dressing should always be tossed in the kitchen. I have no problem with dipping shrimp into a plastic tub of remoulade sauce (which was very good and mustardy), but if you could do it for me that would be a lot better. This way I am not left with half a tub of remoulade and no shrimp to dip in it.

Admittedly, crawfish have yet to reach their peak. Right now, small, tough buggers predominate. But cooking tiny crawfish for the same length of time as their big brothers makes them mushy and disgusting. The effect resembles braising more than boiling. The spice level on the crawfish had some admirable qualities, but the salt quotient did not.

So where do you eat crawfish in New Orleans? The Boss wants to know.

Deanies - Bogey.

16 comments:

Wild Mexican said...

Frankie and Johnny's always does me right for crawfish

Anonymous said...

Zimmer's has some of the best boiled seafood around.

Sara said...

They are pretty good at the galley right now.

Have you dropped a bunch of poundage since your no carb lent began?

Rene said...

Sara,

That implies that I needed to lose a few pounds. Which is a true and correct implication.

Yes. But dont know how much since I didn't weigh myself after Carb Fest 2010 (aka Mardi Gras Day) when I made friend rice and finished with Spaghetti Carbonara.

However, estimates are between 5 and 55 pounds.

Beau said...

Schaefer and Rusich in Bucktown (to go), the Galley (to eat in).

Mike said...

We enjoy picking up from Captain Sid's in Bucktown.

Becky said...

Seither's in Harahan. Great for shrimp and crabs, too. And Harbor Seafood in Kenner.

Anonymous said...

Take a road trip, and go to Camille's on the Highway to Opelousas - over the bridge, through Port Allen, out that way. The crawfish is fucking great.

R. Levy said...

I think the sleeper here--and my personal favorite--is Dennis's in Metairie off Clearview and West Esplanade. Fantastic crawfish, a little spicy, perfectly cooked. Also, the shrimp salad there can't be missed.

Adrastos said...

I'm with Wild MexicanL Frankie and Johnny's is where we go for berled crawfish. They even notice when the suckers are small and cook them accordingly.

Superdeformed said...

I tend to not get them from the store or restaurants because they are either too expensive or not boiled right.

I like to wait til about April. I got a pound from the green place across the street from Deanie's for a snack a couple of weeks ago when I was getting some shrimp. the Crawfish were too small.

My dad's cousin had some at her place after the St Patrick's parade Sunday, they were good and spicy but still too small. I don't know where she got them from.

I usually go to a big Crawfish boil out by my friend's parent's place out in Loranger in early May.

Other then that my brother or my cousins will boil some a few times a year.

My girlfriend's family likes to boil as well so I think I'm in good shape.

Jones said...

Last week my father convinced me to tag along to some bar in Metry. He claimed it the *best* in town. Seeing how I put on a mean boil myself, I did not believe this at all prior to my arrival. Needless to say, I was happily put in my place...perfect salt, spice & decent sized mudbugs made the perfect match for the $1.50 domestics. 22nd streed bar behind the BK near Vets & Causeway blew my mind. BTW they have limited amounts & the crawfish are more to drum up bar business than anything. Fridays only & get there early @ 4pm if you can. PS I traded the recipe for a cold Coors Light. Good deal if you ask me.

Clay said...

No, No, No.

You're doing all wrong. If you have to buy them (and not make them yourself or go to a school's crawfish boil), you go to Big Fisherman, you go home, and you drink Dixie beer on your stoop while peeling open crawfish.

MindyMoo said...

K-Jean's on Carrollton is where we go if we buy them, we've gotten them from there twice already this year and they were delicious. My husband boils the best himself, so if he say's K-Jean's is good, I'm listening to him!

@MindyMoo

Anonymous said...

I just had two amazing platters of hot boiled crawfish at The Galley in Old Metry. Good stuff.

Jennifer White said...

Franky and Johnny's or K-Jean's. www.foodorleans.com