Monday, December 28, 2009

Satsumas

After that game yesterday, we all need something sweet to offset the bitter taste of defeat. Instead of another slice of Aunt Gertrude's pecan pie (which I love by the way), why not turn to Louisiana's most delicious citrus fruit: the satsuma. We're at the end of the season for these delicious and easy to peel orbs of goodness, so grab a sack of 'em before they're gone.

And if you're ever out and about in the Bywater and looking for a light lunch, Satsuma Café on Dauphine might be the spot for you. Open Wednesday to Monday from 7am till 3pm, this coffee shop serves short list of sandwiches, salads, and freshly squezed organic juices. While the underlying theme of the menu is fresh produce, I found the sandwiches' soft ciabatta foundation as the most memorable part of the meal. The fillings in the above MTB (mozzarella, tomato, and basil) were top notch, but the bread was the reason I craved more.
'
Well, the bread and the fact the sandwiches are quite small, especially for $7. I realize that the ingredients are of the highest quality, but I would rather pay $10 for a bigger sandwich than leave hungry. I think one of my dining companions put it best after finishing his turkey with avocado mash, "Well, that was a nice appetizer."
'
Satsuma Cafe - Par

2 comments:

blove said...

those satsumas look very familiar.

Peter said...

They are delicious, and I owe them all to you.