Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Lebanon's

Last week should probably be coined as "the fattest week of the year" (especially after the week started with Po-Boy Fest). I always try to eat light during the days after Thanksgiving, both in the interest of detoxification from the week before and of preparation for the Christmas season which lies ahead.

Chicken and beef kabobs lathered with thick yogurt sauce probably does not qualify as "light" per se, but that's what I love about Middle Eastern food: it's an easy way to fool myself into thinking that I am eating healthy. Still, my guess is that a chicken shawarma salad will run you far fewer Weight Watcher points than a Big Mac or 6" meatball from Subway. And it tastes better.

Lebanon's on Carrollton puts out a pretty good plate of hummus, and the prices are in line with most other Middle Eastern restaurants in the city. But that's about it. The food is good, but not necessarily better than what I have eaten around town. Come to think of it, I'd have to say that my most recent Middle Eastern meals have been average over all. Again, the food has not been the problem. Perhaps my ambivalence is due to the disappearance of the bargain prices on most menus. ($14 for the above combination kabob plate?) Or maybe I am just eating at the wrong places?

What do y'all think? I am going to need another salad after this weekend, and I want to know where to go.

Lebanon's - Par

13 comments:

Celeste said...

Try the Byblos Market on Vets. Very tasty tabbouleh, which is way fewer calories than a chix shwarma salad!

Leigh C. said...

I have had better Middle Eastern food in NYC...but our fave place in Queens closed down, so Lebanon's will have to do. Even Casablanca in Metry has gone downhill, and it used to be really good. 8-(

Annie Bleecker said...

I prefer Mona's to Lebanon's, but their salads aren't great either. I agree with you - there isn't a big difference between the Nola options.

Susan said...

I think Mona's has the best hummus, but I think Babylon has the best food overall- definitely the best baba ganuj. I can't comment on their salads, but the baked sandwiches are delicious- they bake their own bread. Give Babylon a try!

Anonymous said...

Pyramids Cafe is very good for hummus, falafel and tabbouleh. I just order appetizers. I've only also tried Lebanon's and I think the food at Pyramids is better, fresher.

Anonymous said...

I actually love Zea's mediterannean hummus!

Anonymous said...

Babylon Cafe, on Oak Street about two blocks off Carrollton, has an excellent chicken shwarma salad. The rest of the menu is only so-so (Mona's makes WAAAY better falafel), but the chicken shwarma is my favorite in the city. It's not cheaper than anywhere else-- normal local prices.

Parisian Princess said...

Oh Brother, just wait until I take you to the Turkish restaurant around the corner from me. After all, I do live next to the United Nations, ethnic food is like my Lakeview Chicken and Ribs...

Good Eater said...

I just had a great grilled chicken salad at Maple St. Cafe on Sunday. The crawfish pasta wasn't bad either. It will be difficult to eat healthy with their delicious bread and herb butter!

Mona's hummus and falafel is much better than Lebanon's. The chicken schwarma from Lebanon's really hits the spot though.

Awren said...

I dunno, but every time I go and eat at a place other than Mona's, I just feel disappointed (especially with Lebanon's...I really dislike the food for some reason). I think Mona's definitely has the best hummos in town as well. But, I do rather like Byblos' kebab WHEN DONE RIGHT (as in, not dry as a British cream cracker and oily as Cristiano Ronaldo's hair). But yeah, nowhere in the GNO area has a really definitive Middle Eastern joint.

Peter said...

My Dear Commenters,

Thank you for all of the input. I'll admit that I am partial to Mona's because that was my first experience with the Middle East, and (as most of you seem to agree) I honestly have not found anything much better in the city to justify switching teams.

I have never been to Babylon though, and the strong reports from over on Maple Street will likely entice me to try them next.

Unknown said...

It's not Middle Eastern by a long stretch, and even further from healthy, but the smoked, crispy hog jowl salad with baby spinach at Elizabeth's (w/ golden raisions and Maytag blue cheese sherry vinaigrette) is a knockout. And, at $9.50, a bargain for all the jowl-y goodness you get.

elbulli said...

lebanon is the best bang for the buck in town. mona's is mediocre and byblos is overpriced.