Monday, December 14, 2009

Chicken Wings

I have a secret that I am going to share, but you must promise not to tell anyone. The best chicken wings in the New Orleans area can be found at Tan Dinh. Just look at these beauties. Here's how they do it. First, the wings are dusted in flour and fried golden brown, which produces a thin but crispy coating. Then as soon as the wings come out of the fryer, they are sprinkled with minced garlic. Lastly, you choose your dipping sauce: a thin lemongrass syrup or (our favorite) a tart mixture of melted butter, salt, lime, and crushed black pepper.

If I were Buffalo, I would be very scared.

You can order the wings either as an appetizer or your main course, but I strongly suggest sharing a plate of them to start the meal. That way you still have room to sample the remainder of Tan Dinh's extensive menu. For a superb version of a classic, try out the extra thick egg rolls, which are the antithesis of the frozen ones found elsewhere. For something new, how about the shrimp paste wrapped around sticks of sugar cane. Get both on top of a bowl of vermicelli, add fish sauce and sambal, and thank me later.
'
Tan Dinh - Birdie

5 comments:

Donnie Boy Riguez said...

Duck is phenomenal too. Tan Dinh is easily the best kept secret on the West Bank, next to Sgt. Segal.

Bobby Massa said...

I usually would never order chicken wings, but on a recent recommendation we ordered Dry Rubbed and Smoked wings from Central BBQ in Memphis. I've never had anything like it. I even got some of the rub from them and did them at home, super easy and pretty quick (1.5 hr) compared to other smoked meat. Spicy and not breaded or covered in bbq sauce. Meat falls right off the bone. Anything like it in Nola???

These are mine done at home:
Bobby's Dry Rubbed Smoked Wings

Rene said...

Bobby,

While not smoked, Lakeview Harbor does some damn fine dry rubbed wings.

Awren said...

Eeeeehhhhhh...being Vietnamese myself I have to disagree with the Eggroll bit. They might be big, but on each occasion that I've had them, they've been preposterously greasy and flaccid, not crispy. I'm also not too fond of their filling, either. Some of Tan Dinh's kitchen dishes are fantastic - like the wings - but their pho isn't very flavorful in my opinion.

Peter said...

Awren,

Which Vietnamese restaurant has the best eggrolls in your opinion? I feel like the eggrolls at most other places are exactly the same. I will agree to disagree with you about the filling.

Also, I agree with you on not being overly crazy about the pho.