Thursday, June 18, 2009

Guest Blogger: McCall

This week the blog turns over the reins to a pregnant lady who makes some bold claims about pregnancy and food. While we can not vouch for her claims that being pregnant is harder than running a blog for a year and a half, it does sound like at least there is good food involved. Maybe Peter should try it. Ohh wait, you can't drink? Nevermind. Women, keep up the good work.

Eating for Two


So I am pregnant. I’m not yet BIG and pregnant…but I’m sure I’ll be waddling from here to there soon enough. One thing I’ve noticed since that fateful day the stick turned blue is that women who are pregnant or who were pregnant (aka, mothers) love to talk about their pregnancy and all the wonderful, and not so wonderful, experiences involved in carrying their heir for ten months (that’s right, boys…pregnancy is TEN months, not nine). One constantly recurring theme in these unsolicited nuggets of wisdom is food and eating and especially cravings. Well, here are my own McNuggets of wisdom, thus far…

“I want it NOW!” – I’ve always been a rather patient person…downright polite most of the time. I often put others’ needs above my own. But lately, I have been drained of all my patience when it comes to eating. (Hey, I am putting my baby’s needs first right?) I would like to explain to you the immediacy of hunger when you are pregnant. It’s really quite hard to put in to words. It’s hormonal; it’s irrational; and it’s very, very real. One Thursday I was working from home when all of the sudden I was starving. S-T-A-R-V-I-N-G. As it was only 10:30 a.m. and I had already consumed a bowl of oatmeal, a string cheese, a banana, and a cup of yogurt, I could not understand why I was so hungry. I didn’t know what to do. So, what did I do? I started crying. That’s right. There I was sitting in front of my computer, sobbing. My husband was on the golf course, so I couldn’t call him…not that he would be particularly understanding. So, I called my mom. She understood. She told me to stay where I was; she was coming. Twenty minutes later, we were in the car together heading to Casa Garcia for chips and bean dip. It was great. I wanted to cry I was so happy and satisfied; but then again, I think I had cried enough over food for one day.

The Best Thing Ever – Pickles and ice cream, right? Well that just sounds disgusting to me. However, I have discovered that pregnancy cravings are totally legit. While I have not craved anything particularly odd, I have noticed that when a craving strikes, I can think of NOTHING ELSE. I happened to have a craving for a cheeseburger a couple weeks ago. I was set to meet a good friend for lunch that day and insisted we go to Times for a cheeseburger. We sat down and before the waitress could ask for our drink order I told her I needed (that’s right, needed) a cheeseburger as soon as possible. When the burger arrived all conversation stopped. I needed all my concentration for that cheeseburger. Had my friend not recently joined the ranks of parenthood, I am pretty sure he would have been terrified or offended by the manner in which I devoured the cheeseburger. My usual Emily Post-like manners have occasionally taken a backseat to my indulgences these days. Now, the best part about these cravings is the way I feel when I have indulged…it is without a doubt the most satisfied feeling I have ever had (I feel like I should apologize to my husband after that statement). There are some pretty rotten side effects that come with pregnancy – morning sickness, a protruding belly (bye-bye feet), swollen ankles – but in my opinion that unexplainable feeling of satisfaction makes up for them all.

OK, ONE Odd Craving - I hate peaches. I detest them. I hate the way they smell, the way they taste, the way they feel. I always have; I figured I always would. That is until last week at the grocery store. As I perused the product department at Rouse’s I detected this irresistible aroma. To my surprise, it was a new display of peaches. How could this be? I have hated peaches since I was a child. I feel they have no redeeming qualities (yes, I realize I am likely alone in this sentiment). But there I was, standing before a massive display of fresh peaches…craving one. So, what did I do? I ate one. Yep, I couldn’t help myself. Right then and there in the middle of the produce department at my local Rouse’s I grabbed that dreaded fruit and I devoured it. And it was delicious. So, sorry Rouse’s…I owe you a peach.

PS – I still hate peaches.

No comments: