Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cheesesteak Tuesdays

I have never been to Philadelphia, so I'm no expert when it comes to the cheesesteak. I also happen to think that Cheez Whiz is only suitable for feeding ignorant children and hazing incoming associates. (Or are those groups one in the same?) But when it comes to food, I am usually quick to throw caution to the wind and at least try whatever is recommended by people "in the know." So after the HVAC Princess and her Philly transplant boyfriend continually raved about the Tuesday cheesesteak special at Stein's, I had to go.

The foundation of this sandwich is a hoagie roll so soft you would think the bread is mistakenly undercooked. (The HVAC Princess tells me that owner Dan Stein flies his bread in direct from the City of Brotherly Love.) The beef, which is labeled as "Pat's Style" in homage to the self-proclaimed "King of Steaks" in Philly, is sliced with the uniformity of a deck of cards and the thickness of a nickel. The traditional table top griddle creates overcooked bits of crispy goodness on the beef, but the tender cuts still easily tear between your front teeth as you bite down.

The choice of toppings is yours. Peppers, onions, and mushrooms all get the same treatment as the steak, and pizza sauce is even available for the non-traditionalists. As for cheese, Stein's offers the aforementioned Cheez Whiz as well as sliced provolone. Can't choose which? Get both, which is exactly what I did.

You might expect such a sandwich to cost a pretty penny, but you'd be wrong (again). $5 for a small and $7 for a large. The size of the bread is the same for both, but the amount of meat nearly doubles on the large. It's a great sandwich, one which I had not yet found in the city until I went to Stein's. What's also nice is that you can enjoy this Philly classic while revelling in the fact that your team is still playing football this upcoming weekend.

Stein's Philly Cheesesteak - Eagle

Lastly, a general note about Stein's. The layout of the deli leaves little room for seating. There is a lone deuce sandwiched between the pickup counter and beer chiller. In the front there are two communal tables with 8 seats each, plus 6 or so counter style seats along the front window and side wall. Two picnic tables outside on Magazine are the best spots when the weather is nice. In other words, seating is cramped, especially on Tuesdays when the cheesesteak draws a lot of people in. I don't mind, but if you have a problem with sharing space with others, this might not be the deli for you. Of course, you could always wait and take a late lunch, but then you run the risk of the cheesesteaks selling out by then - which happens often.

8 comments:

Donnie Boy Riguez said...

The Peter lunch budget is going to bring this country out of the recession.

Now show me some Sandra Lee love!

Anonymous said...

Delicious! And pizza sauce is traditional; it's called a pizza steak!

NOJuju said...

I had no idea Stein's did a cheesesteak Tuesday! I can't wait for next Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

I trust Ca$h on Cheese Steaks. Would he admit he looked into starting a cheesesteak (dare I say it) chain of Texadelphia in (dare I say it) Baton Rouge? That's another blog post for another day.

Peter said...

Anon #1,

You're probably right, "non-traditionalists" is not the correct term. As I said, the cheesesteak is not my forte.

Anon #2,

I do love Texadelphia. I think it's more of the cheese fries made with queso that does it for me though. Also, their mustard blend is heavenly.

PS - You are not really "Anonymous" if I know who you are...

The Folk Singer said...

Maybe if we had a Texadelphia in Baton Rouge, the Advocate would have something to review other than the Chili's on College.

I'm just sayin'...

MaryMagdalene said...

Yum

MaryMagdalene said...

Yum