Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Cake Fit For Kings

Since the start of the new year, I have probably eaten 47 slices of king cake. I know, I know - high cholesterol, diabetes, cardiac arrest, yada yada yada - but I can't help myself. At least 3 times per week, sometimes twice in a single day, someone shows up at the office with a king cake. That's on top of the king cakes which are omnipresent at every birthday, wedding shower, funeral, and bris that I get invited to. How can a guy say no to a piece of king cake in celebration of circumcision?

But even though I have eaten an alarming number of slices of king cake, I honestly have not sampled the spectrum of species from that many different bakeries. Perhaps king cakes are similar to snowballs in that location plays a major role? Case in point, the above classic king cake from McKenzie's, now sold by Tastee Donuts, covered in purple, green, and gold granulated sugar While this is the king cake of my youth and always my first one of the season, it just never tastes as good as I remember.

At the opposite end from the McKenzie's classic, we have this shimmering specimen from Sucre, who started baking king cakes for the first time this year. The glaze on this cake is so stunning that you might be hesitant with your knife, but then you would be missing what's inside...

... and that would be an extremely light pastry filled with a thin layer of whipped cream cheese. I usually despise filled king cakes (too gloppy), but the minimal smear of cream cheese in this one is in perfect balance with the paper thin layers of pastry. This is probably the best king cake that I have eaten so far this year.

I'm still a sucker for Manny Randazzo's, which is better than Randazzo's Camellia City in my opinion. Haydel's makes a good king cake, but the combination of icing and granulated sugar throws me off; I prefer one or the other but not both. Antoine's is always welcome as an afternoon snack.

I still have quite a few king cakes on my list to try: Hi-Do Bakery on the wild wild Westbank, the not-so-sweet goat cheese and apple king cake from New Orleans Cake Cafe, the true classic galette des rois from La Boulangerie. So many cakes, so few inches to spare in the waistband of my suit pants. A little help, dear readers, if you wouldn't mind.

15 comments:

alli said...

Sucre made king cakes last year... I bought one! They're great and probably my favorite as well.

Shelly said...

I like Gambino's. And I got a berry chantilly king cake from Whole Foods that was non-traditional, but very tasty.

faith said...

La Boulangerie's iteration gives me hope for humanity. It is seriously one of my favorite foods, ever.

FlygURL said...

Be sure to take a drive up the road to Picayune to sample Paul's Pastries phenomenal King Cakes.

Celeste said...

The thought of a naked baby Jesus in a cake at a bris made me laugh out loud!

Bobby Massa said...

I kid you not, one of the best I've had this year is from Party Palace in Kenner-Brah.

Worth the drive. Especially if you need to stop by Mr Binky's.

thirstypelican said...

If you find your way out in the Lafayette area, try the version they put out at Meche's Donut King. It proves the cliche that, if something is good, it is better fried.

Unknown said...

I tried the one from Hi-Do last weekend. Meh. Too much filling.

They have savory king cakes for sale at Refuel. I haven't tried them yet but they look fantastic.

Peter said...

Alli,

I thought that the people behind the counter at Sucre told us that this was the first year for king cakes, but I am obviously mistaken. Too bad that we didn't know about them last year.

Shelly,

I have not had a king cake from Gambino's in quite a few years. I will have to try one before Fat Tuesday.

Faith,

I think it's great that La Boulangerie is perpetuating the original.

Bobby,

I'll stop by Party Palace on Thursday, which is when I make my weekly trek out to Mr. Binky's.

Pelican,

I have heard of many a story about Meche's. Hopefully I get to try their king cake one day.

Natalie,

Have you ever had the crawfish king cake? I had one a few years back from Coffee Cottage in Harahan, but it looks like they no longer make them.

MaryMagdalene said...

Thanks for giving me a sample, oh bloggin' wonder.

Try the new place on Vicksburg next to Creole Creamery

MaryMagdalene said...

Thanks for bringing me some samples, oh bloggin' wonder.

Try the new bakery on Vicksburg next to Creole Creamery

MaryMagdalene said...

Thanks for the samples, oh bloggin' rockstar.

Try the new bakery on Vicksburg next to Creole Creamery

Tracey said...

I'm heading to New Orleans tomorrow and can't wait to sample a variety of King Cakes over the weekend. I will be posting this great review on my blog: http://neworleanstakemebacktothecityilove.blogspot.com

Peace,
Tracey

MaryMagdalene said...

Hi-Do on the west bank has an outstanding, light cream cheese filled king cake, YUM

WhoDatNation said...

I echo MaryMagdalene's comments; Hi Do Bakery out in the Best Bank makes a fabulous king cake. I recently bought a fleur-de-lis shaped king cake and it's the best-looking (and tasting) one out there. I think it is the closest thing to old-school McKenzie's king cakes right now, but it might be better.