Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Rum House

Plenty of hype surrounding the opening of this Caribbean taqueria on Magazine Street. The Folk Singer and co-owner Michael Buchert have a mutual friend, so TFS has had this place on our radar long before it opened in June. We finally made it on the night of the LSU-Vandy game, which worked out well because they have a big screen projector which spans near across an entire wall.

We each ordered the Taco Trifecta, which includes a side of your choice for $10. TFS chose coconut rice, and I had black beans - both of which were average. There are 6 taco filling options on the menu, and we tried 5 of them.

  • Jerk Chicken - Perfectly cooked but absolutely flavorless. Not even a hint of jerk seasoning in the end product, so perhaps a longer marinating time is in order.
  • Brisket - Very good, though the chimichurri was lost on me.
  • Ribs - This was the best one that I tried. Tender shreds of meat in a spicy creole tomato BBQ sauce.
  • Calypso Beef - TFS gobbled this up before I had a chance to taste it, but she thought it the best on her plate.
  • Fish - Fine and dandy, but the jalapeno coleslaw on top was delicious.

We also sampled a few of the starters:

  • Chips and Salsa - Made with roasted tomatoes instead of fresh, which is fine by me because I like both. I wish that they were complimentary, but I'd say still worth the $4.
  • Queso Blanco - Good but not earth shattering.
  • Jamaican Patties - Beef was dry, pastry dough was heavy, and they needed some kind of sauce. Both TFS and I agreed that these should be passed on in the future.

So the food was just OK overall. While we were there, I just kept thinking how I would rather eat tacos at one of the numerous authentic Mexican taquerias around town, plus the food would be better and cost 20% less. Look for more on that topic from Rene later this week.

But you know what? Even though the food is nothing special, I would still recommend The Rum House. Why? Because it's a fun place. This is a perfect example of how atmosphere can overpower mediocre food. Everyone in that place, including myself, was having a good time. The tables are nicely spaced out, they can easily handle parties of 10 or 12, projection screen to watch the games, the room is loud, the ceilings are high, plenty of windows, Magazine Street, sangria, chelada, decent food at a fair price... what's not to like?

The Rum House
Food - Par
Overall Experience - Birdie

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How were the drinks?? Did you have any rum at the Rum House?

Peter said...

I did not have any rum, but we did have the sangria and chelada pictured in the post. Both were good (though drinking beer with ice takes some getting used to), but looking back I wish I would have tried a mojito.

Anonymous said...

Chelada? I caught that once in Cancun, a little hydrogen peroxide will clear it right up.

Richard and Danielle said...

When we ate there, husband tried to order a rum and ginger ale, a pretty standard pairing. We were told they don't have ginger ale but they could mix sprite and coke together and its the same thing. We found this pretty disappointing from a place called the Rum House, not to mention weak rum selection. Fun atmosphere though and decent tacos.

Peter said...

The old "coke + sprite = ginger ale" trick, eh? That's the last time that bartender tries to pull one over on cheese royalty...

I am not a big rum drinker, so I can't comment on the selection. Though I think that your last sentence sums up the place perfectly.

Anonymous said...

They have over 120 rums what more could you want? They also have ginger beer instead of your ginger ale, I'm guessing your from the north.