Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bangkok Thai

When I lived in St. Louis, the weather was brutal. Although you could check the statistics, from October 12th, 2007 until April 21st, 2008, the temperature never got above freezing, the sun refused to shine, and four feet of snow blanketed the city. I was ill equipped to deal with the rigors of what people call winter. For instance, a dust pan doubled as an ice scraper. But I did have one ace in the hole. And that was The King and I Thai. On bitter cold evenings, an order of Tom Yum soup and basil chicken would temporarily stave of freezing to death.

One time, feeling bold and cold, I asked for the Tom Yum "Thai Hot." The next thing I remember tears, sweat, and capsaicin were mingling all over my flush faced. But I couldn't stop shoveling this narcotic into my mouth. When it was all over, the flood of endorphins would have made an addict smile. For the first time in months, I was warm.

Bangkok Thai, near Cooter Browns, is the first Thai restaurant in New Orleans, that I have found, that is truly willing to go to Thai hot land.* We headed there Sunday evening after watching the Saints dominate the Giants. The weather was cool and I told them to bring the red curry-Thai hot. An order of some crunchy rolls filled with pork, crunchy vegetables and glass noodles was a welcome precursor.

When the curry arrived, the aroma wafting up had that peculiar blend of fragrances attributable to curry. There is the pungent basil- a combination of marijuana, grass, and anise mingling with the faint sweet scent of coconut cream and the fiery peppers.

A good curry needs two types of heat. There is the heat that touches the lip and tip of your tongue. It's role is that of a trickster. You think, "Ohhh hey this is manageable." Then, ten seconds later the real heat scratches at the back of your throat flaming up from the belly like some prehistoric dragon. Sweat should ensue followed by feelings of eminent death.

The sticky white rice on the table, invariably less than you need, which you contemplated pouring the curry over, now becomes the control. It stays there, unadorned, to cleanse and give your palate pause during the ensuing attack.

Spicy food is the variety of life. But Thai hot curry is a whole 'nother level of heat. Be careful with this stuff. Like all endorphin releasing substances, it only gets harder to replicate the original buzz.

Bangkok Thai- For Thai hot curry, birdie


* Note: I am not including Thai restaurants on the North Shore which in the popular parlance of our time do "bring the heat".

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I don't order beyond medium hot myself, but as far as quality and variety goes, I have to say my favorite place is Siamese Thai in Metairie. I also like Suhko Thai quite a bit- but I only ever get their pineapple shrimp curry and ginger tea.