Friday, October 16, 2009

A Blogger in the Fat Hen House

Last Saturday The Folk Singer and I stopped at Fat Hen Grill for breakfast on our way to Baton Rouge. Then Tuesday night while perusing nola.com I came upon this article, and before I scrolled down to confirm the answer, I thought to myself, "Wow, that woman looks a lot like the manager who served us on Saturday morning." You've heard the rest of the alleged story, but in the name of unbiased journalism, we'll just stick to the food.

TFS had the Classic Eggs Benedict, all of the parts of which were done well save the most important one. The hollandaise was much too thin in consistency, which took away from the perfectly poached eggs and thin slices of ham underneath (an improvement over canadian bacon in my opinion).

I desperately wanted to order chili cheese fries to cure my post Bar Exam results hangover, but TFS quickly vetoed that idea. Instead we went with the "Barnyard Fries" topped with grilled onions and special sauce that tasted exactly like the dipping sauce for an onion mumm. Frozen french fries and chain restaurant style sauce, and I loved every bit of it. I'm not sorry. Next time I'll ask them to add cheese.

The "Womlette." I filed this in the category of "things that are good in theory but are flawed in reality." (See also, Communism.) I love waffles; I love omelettes; why not cook them together? Well, for one the waffle loses its crispness during the time that the eggs are cooked on top. Second, when this bad boy comes out of the oven/salamander, it needs about 15 minutes to cool off before you can dive in without scorching your mouth. Third, I couldn't quite connect with the idea of pouring syrup over vegetables, like the cherry tomatoes in my Cajun Womlette (which also included andouille, green onions, and jack cheese). Though I think that syrup would go better if the Womlette only had meats and/or cheese, like the Royal American.
'
All in all, not a total failure but significantly short of a success nonetheless. If I'm ever out out looking for breakfast in Kenner again, I wouldn't hesitate to return and try the standard breakfast fare, which I imagine the Fat Hen does quite well.
'
I paid with cash. (Ba-dum-ching.)
'
Fat Hen Grill - Par.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I read about the *ahem* interior decorating snafus on nola.com yesterday.

Adrastos said...

I like their sandwiches and burgers better than the breakfast. They do a mean burger with onion rings...

Lindyj said...

They have pretty great fried mushrooms