Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Hansen's Sno-Bliz

Damn, it's hot outside. What better way to cool off than a snowball?

To our out-of-town readers, the answer is no. A snowball is NOT the same as a sno-cone or Hawaiian shaved ice. Allow me to explain the difference. New Orleans style snowballs are set apart from all others because the ice is much, much finer. So fine in fact that the best snowball makers must alternate between pouring syrups and packing on more ice, because if they just poured the syrup on the top then the elixirs would not penetrate the ice near the bottom. Try one and you are sure to notice the difference. If you are feeling particularly adventurous, ask for a generous pour of condensed milk on top of your snowball. The extra insulin shot will be worth it.

We all have our favorite snowball stands, but in my opinion none come close to Hansen's Sno-Bliz. Their ice is shaved so fine that you might as well be eating clouds. For the magic behind the sno-bliz, I direct you to Todd Price's May article in the Times Picayune. (It must also be noted that Hansen's makes their own syrups - a feat which not many other snowballers can lay claim to.)

Even though Hansen's stands alone at the top, there are still many other snowball stands vying for second place. In a recent conversation I had with The Coonhunter, he made an astute observation that which snowball stand you prefer directly correlates to where you grew up. His contention is based on the strong ties between the stands and their neighborhoods. So I guess today's poll could be more of a demographic analysis of our readers as opposed to a means to end the snowball debate. Either way, we'd like to hear your opinion. (Write-in votes are welcome in the comments.)

Last but not least, no matter what your vote, let us never forget that when it comes to snowballs:

I'll take a large limeade please.

11 comments:

Celeste said...

Give me any tart fruit flavor (blackberry, lemon-lime, green apple) with condensed milk on top, or how about a wedding cake, plus chocolate?

Athene Numphe said...

How come Hansen's isn't in the poll? Cause that's what I'd vote for!

Rémy said...

At Hansen's, I always ask for two little baby cups, one with nectar cream and one with orangeade. The best thing to do is alternate as though you're eating a fine meal - you know, in the same way that you'd eat a few bites of the entrecote before moving on to the potato gratin.

And you're right about the demographics - I picked Plum Street in the poll because that's where I go/went whenever Hansen's isn't/wasn't open, but I refuse to go there if Hansen's is an option. They can't do justice to Hansen's nectar cream.

Rene said...

Confession: I have never been to Hansen's straight up Sal's Snowballs.

Donnie Boy Riguez said...

Rene = Metry Style

Peter said...

Celeste - I'm with you on the tart flavors, which is why I love me some limeade, but I have yet to try one with condensed milk. I learn something new everyday.

Athene - Hansen's is not in the poll because their snowballs are just on another level. No one comes close to Hansen's, so the poll would be unfair if you could vote for the Sno-Bliz.

Becky said...

Hansen's new satsuma flavor has surpassed limeade for me. It's amazing.

But I had a lime from Tee-Eva's yesterday and it was pretty good. This was at the "old" location, by the way. They don't seem to have moved yet.

Brad said...

Had to go Ro-Bears... as predicted because of demographics. My grandmother lives on the street right across Jefferson Hwy, so as a kid I would always walk up there with my brother or uncles and get snowballs.

Unknown said...

Pappa Sam's in Mandeville! I too love tart...with condensed milk. It's a great combo. Love some Wango Tango! When you pair it with the CM...it tastes like a key lime pie. YUM!

The Coonhunter said...

I can't believe that Casey's (West Espy near Clearview) did not make the poll. We all know that Hansen's is in a Tier-1 league of its own (with Plum Street probably up there, as well). But if you're talking neighborhoods, you can't ignore the huge crowds that assemble every evening at Casey's. True Who Dats from the Terrace. Casey's product is also vastly superior to Sal's, Nick's, and the former Phil's. Flame away at me for being a new Metairie boy.

BrenyB said...

I agree with Becky. The satsuma flavor will make your mouth happy! It's a tart flavor, and it tastes like a just-picked-from-the-tree satsuma.

Why do I have to live 4 hours away?