Monday, November 8, 2010

The Man Who Eats Grass

In case you were blackened out for the last 48 hours, LSU slayed the dragon on Saturday. In all likelihood, college football will have a new champion this year. Jordan Jefferson played the best game of his life. And the Tigers have charged back into the hunt for a BCS bowl bid.

In more exciting news, Les Miles eats grass.



"I've got a little tradition that humbles me as a man, that let's me know I'm part of the field," Miles said. "It's going to be all over the internet. You know what? You should have seen some games before this. I know one thing: The grass in Tiger Stadium tastes best."

What else do you expect from a man who uses the word "want" as both a verb and a noun in the same sentence?

Hundreds of blog post could (and have been) written about the Mad Hatter's status as the most paradoxical figure in college football - and that wide net includes the Ole Miss Rebel Black Bear, whatever that is. Miles thrills and frustrates the Tiger faithful with every gutsy play call and mismanaged game ending drive. Those who have followed Rene's tweets during an LSU game know exactly what I'm talking about. But when the camera caught Les chewing on a few blades of Death Valley chronic, our coach surprised us yet again, this time with his quirky dietary ritual.

But really, how bizarre is it for Miles to undertake this humbling tradition? Many New Orleanians (this one included) still only eat red beans and rice on Mondays even though we don't spend the entire day washing clothes. I've never know anyone to strike it rich from eating black eyed peas on New Year's Day, nor has my exacta percentage improved after a corned beef po-boy at the Fairgrounds.

What are some other odd eating traditions, whether they be your own or those widely accepted by some segment of the population? One of my favorites is that my Dad always begins a meal at Galatoire's with a Dixie beer, and he doesn't really know why. In the words of Coach Miles, "He has a want for this particular beverage, and there are lessons that need to have been learned, and shared pasts and histories are common knowledge."

Makes sense, right?

3 comments:

Rene said...

In the third quarter of Sunday's game, things were looking bleak. Once that quarter ended, I said "To hell with it" and headed into the kitchen. I began to make a roux, while Lindsay continued to watch the game.

Now, I am not saying it made the difference, just saying I'll be making gumbo every week from here on out.

Rene said...

Correction, Saturday's game.

fmcgmccllc said...

The day the W2 form came my dad used to go buy 2 10 pound bags of pinto beans because we had to start being thrifty. Beans usually lasted for quite a few months.

When dad would leave town on business the first meal mother would make was macaroni in tomato juice. It was the most awful thing ever eaten and she loved it.