Monday, November 10, 2008

Idea

I can cook, somewhat. However, gardening still presents an immense challenge to my green thumbs and two left feet.

Scattered throughout the neighborhoods of New Orleans, abandoned homes and empty lots sit like missing teeth in an otherwise brilliant smile. After reading the link on this post, I began thinking of how the concept of a Victory Garden could help reduce some of the visual distress of New Orleans.

So I welcome your thoughts on this. What if neighborhoods could negotiate with the landowners of these properties for a usufruct over some of the empty lots on a street or in a neighborhood. Then the neighborhood could use these lots to grow plants, herbs, fruits, vegetables, or just keep the space pretty.

I see two benefits here. First, it would continue to strengthen the bonds of neighborhoods. Secondly, it would provide those that participate with a source of fresh, seasonal produce.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Frolic said...

This is what Parkway Partners has been doing for years. Their little gardens are scattered across the city. One used to be across from the Kingpin until a house was built there.

I can pretend like I'd get involved in this, but I can barely keep our grass mowed. And we've only got one small strip between the sidewalk and street. I'm come to accept that I'm not a gardener.

Anonymous said...

What's a usufruct?