Friday, February 5, 2010

"These Are Strange and Beautiful Days"

Foreword: Food is the second to last thing on anyone's mind today. Work is obviously pulling up the rear. This also applies to blogging. Win or lose on Sunday, chances are we will not be posting on Monday morning. (You know how tired you are after a full weekend of standing up and getting crunk.) Seeing as we have a parade to attend on Tuesday, we will see you then.

I remember getting trounced by the Vikings in the '87 playoff game. I remember when I knew the entire cha-ching commercial. I remember Morten hitting that 60 yarder at the end of the first half of the '91 wild card game against Atlanta and thinking, "There is no way we lose this game." I remember losing to the Eagles at home in the playoffs the next year. I remember the Dome Patrol. I remember losing a lot in the mid to late 90s. I remember when we drafted Ricky and Ditka wore dreadlocks. I remember when Hakim dropped the ball. I remember sitting in Tiger Stadium and losing to the Dolphins, Bears, Bucs, and Panthers. I remember when Gleason blocked the punt. I remember the 12th man in the huddle and when Hartley hit the fleur de lis.

I could wax on about what it means for the Saints to finally make it to the Super Bowl, but you read enough of our gibberish already. Instead, I give to you a collection of stories written about the Saints in recent weeks. So if you want to really know what it means to be a Saints fan, ask the bank VP in Biloxi or the Metairie girl who will run the game ball onto the field in Miami. If you want to know what Drew Brees means to New Orleans, read what Peter King has to say. Whether its cancelling school or continuing trials, we will do whatever it takes to minimize "distractions" from the game. Don't forget to pay tribute to those who unfortunately never made it to see this day and don't let anyone tell you that "Who Dat?" belongs to anyone other than the fans. Our apologies to the Manning family, even though Peyton is a great guy and a great New Orleanian, on Sunday he is the enemy. So get ready Miami, the Who Dat nation is coming in full force, and we are not settling for anything less than a miracle.

Yesterday's failures are what makes today's successes so sweet. These are strange and beautiful days in New Orleans. Let's enjoy them while we can.

2 comments:

Rene said...

Strange days indeed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBCdlBrgEmE

I'maNolaGirl said...

Strange and beautiful is right! WHOOOO DATTTTT!