Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Have Five Daiquiris?

Trust me on this. Today's post was going to be epic showcasing a list of unofficial Jazz Fest cocktails I made last Saturday on those hallowed grounds. But then Wayne Curtis had to go and write about making cocktails for a Bruce Springsteen flyover. Anything you would have read here would have paled in comparison.

Instead we cycle back to a rum cocktail which has sneaked its way into my rotation. I can't say this is an upsetting development. The daiquiri, when made correctly, is the apotheosis of Caribbean drinking. There is sugar, rum, and limes, all necessary ingredients if you wish to avoid scurvy or an afternoon conference call. And as the expression goes, when Ron Jeremy gives you rum, you make daiquiris.  


This daiquiri came about when I found myself with a sizable amount of lemongrass (a story for another day). A lemongrass simple syrup seemed to make sense. The suggestion of a daiquiri made with that simple syrup from Neal Bodenheimer made even more sense. Many tests later here is the proportion for what I consider a damn fine daiquiri. The drink is bright and fresh with a stripper dust finish. I have been drinking these for about two weeks now. Not continuously, of course. 

Ron's Asian Fetish Daiquiri

1 cup sugar, 1 cup water into a sauce pan over very low heat. Stir until all the sugar is combined. Add two stalks of beaten (it releases the oils) and chopped lemongrass. Let steep for twenty minutes. Strain.

4 oz Ron de Jeremy (any dark rum will do)
2 oz lemongrass simple syrup
1 oz fresh squeezed lime juice (about one lime)

Combine the above in a mixing glass over ice. Shake for thirty seconds and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Or put it on the rocks, Captain Schettino. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would think an Asian Fetish daiquiri would include Tequila...Tila Tequila. Oh snap, I slay myself.