Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Louisiana Citrus Lemoncello

This jug has sat in an upper cabinet for 45 days now. It sits there in the quiet dark, the 190 octane alcohol drying out the peels from roughly 25 satsumas and Meyer lemons. I checked on it religiously the first week. The color changed from clear with a tint of yellow, like a cheap diamond to a brilliant, rich yellow-orange, like a diamond Kobe gets for his wife after a ski trip to Vail. Then I forgot about it; until the other night when I realized a) I was alone and had nothing to do b) it had been 45 days since I put the lemoncello mixture away.

The mixture went through a strainer. The peels had become brittle and hard. They snapped in half at the slightest provocation. Then, into the potent potable went two cups of simple syrup. The mixture sat for a few more days until last night when I tried it.

The aroma would wake the dead. The vapors of the alcohol made me wonder if this would be at all drinkable. Then I took a sip, the harshness of the vapors was replaced by a warming, smooth flavor of an intense citrus tree. A little bracing at the end, this libation reminded me a lot of Grand Marnier. With winter approaching this may become my nightcap. But I think this concoction would be equally as enjoyable in the summer time with a tall glass of lemonade.

If only I can restrain myself until then. And don't fret, if you are a good friend of mine, I have a jar set aside for you for Christmas. If you aren't, then why not?

1 comment:

WEBSITE SEO said...

The harshness of the vapors was replaced by a warming, smooth flavor of an intense citrus tree.